Tuesday, April 13, 2010

So, what's on the Internet?

Okay, I spent some time surfing the internet, as we say, looking for some info on immigration in the Bay Area. but I think Professor Ivey is right, I need to choose a group to focus on because there's too much out there and I need to be more specific. So I thought I'd start by taking a trip to see Diane at the Hayward Historical Society to see what she had on the subject.

Hayward Historical Society. On the corner of Main St and C St. http://haywardareahistory.org

She's great she showed me what she had and we talked about other options. I told her that I was also considering researching Guillermo Castro's wife, Maria Luisa Peralta. You see that's my mother's maiden name. Yeah, I'm also a Peralta! So, I figured it might be interesting to see what life was like for the Peralta's in alta California versus the Peralta's of Costa Rica. The only picture of Guillermo is the one we've all seen in the book.
Painting of Guillermo Castro from the Hayward Historical Area Museum Collection. 79.033.1527. http://www.haywardareahistory.org/

I haven't found a picture of Maria Luisa but was able to find of picture of her father. I also found her geneology. Diane and I talked about focsuing my blog on the life of a Spanish Californio(not misspelled, that's what the early Spanish families were called, The Californios) woman. What her life might have been like. So, I'll keep you posted on my ever changing blog. Now, how do I make my blog title work with this story? Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment